Believe it or not, carpeting is one of the greatest contributors to indoor air pollution.
Among the most common health problems in a house is allergies, and carpets are almost a perfect environment for dust mites, moulds and mildew.
In addition to that, but the modern wall-to wall carpeting in today’s houses are made from synthetic fibers treated and dyed with chemicals (fungicides, soil repellants and pesticides, anyone?) and bonded with chemical adhesives to synthetic backing. Each of these substances release numerous Volatile Organic Compounds as they age, in a procedure called outgassing. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) can be irritants mutagens and carcinogens. Not the ideal thing to get at home, to say the least.
Carpet attracts and keeps all that you and your family members track into the house from the ground outside- soil, lead dust discovered in flaking house exterior paint, insects, bacteria, lawn and yard chemicals and other debris that is unhealthy. Not to mention food crumbs, dead skin particles and hair.
Obtaining a wall-to-wall carpet 100% clean is not nearly possible (cleaned the same area repeatedly and ever rented one of those steam cleaners to clean your carpet, every time seeing more soil come out?) and trying to clean causes its own issues. Vacuuming stirs up mould spores and airborne dust. Shampooing even the shampoo may have even hazardous or irritating chemicals and can leave a moist carpet supporting more mold development added.
In the other end health spectrum is ceramic tile. It’s created from natural clay substances fired in a kiln. A tile sealed with non-leaded glaze is impervious to mould and bacteria and is well tolerated by people that are sensitive.
Ceramic tile is bonded to the foundation flooring using low-toxicity thin set mortar, and can be grouted with homemade, additive-free grout. 2 components dry, clean sand added and mixed with 1 part Portland cement could be prepared to water to form a slow, damp treating grout.
Although a ceramic tile floor can be costly up front, as a result of the installation that was labor intensive, they are very long-lasting and long-lasting if correctly preserved, and will be considered as relatively affordable in the long run.